Re: Password for the default keyring

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:52 PM, Eric Mesa <ericsbinaryworld gmail com> wrote:
> Whenever I click on the passwords tab in Seahorse or tell Evolution to
>  save my password it asks me to enter the default keyring password.  Just
>  one problem, I don't remember ever setting such a thing.  In fact, when
>  I first set up GPG, I used KDE's utility.  I only downloaded Seahorse to
>  be able to have Nautilis integrated encryption and decryption of files.
>
>  Any ideas on possible solutions?  I've tried my GPG password and that
>  doesn't work and neither does the password for logging in.
>
>  I'm about 95% sure I never set a keyring password in Seahorse.

The passwords tab corresponds to secrets stored in gnome-keyring
either by programs or the user.  Seahorse can't show you the stored
passwords and Evolution can't save one without unlocking the default
keyring.

I would suggest running seahorse preferences and if you've never saved
any passwords successfully or don't mind losing what's stored,
removing the keyring listed, adding a new one, you will be prompted
for a password (I recommend the same as your login password if you
would like it automatically unlocked) and then set it as the Default
Keyring at the bottom of the dialog.

Cheers,

Adam