Re: Getting away from GNOME #5

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 21:23:59 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> - DL/GIT/BugZilla/ML/Statistics could be all at the same place
> - full control over admin rights (for GIT & Co.)
> - per-user repos can be hosted there, too (either as branch or as extra-repo

Git is not a big problem. There's no "true" repository in git. Once
you declare one is official, it's the official. (At least for us; We
don't do "release 7.8.9 is officially this tag".) So as long as you
don't move it around often, any is ok. Anyway TuxFamily only accepts
real names, so I'm banned out.

Even after you get the repo out of GNOME, we should retain the GNOME
repo, so that we can receive translations. (Recently Sawfish
translation seems more active than before. Maybe it's because we're
active.)  And push back to GNOME sometimes.

# Last time I wanted to say so, but we had a communication problem. ;)

> - all current ML-Users can be resubscribed automatically
1. What happens to those who receive tons of emails a day when the
address changes? E.g. if they have a strict policy for spam killing,
will mails from the new server be thrown away unconsciously? (Core
members won't complain much. Whom I'm concerned with are lurkers who
sometimes help us greatly. Do I care excessively?)
2. Will it be archived outside of tuxfamily, too? Like gmane or
nabble? It seems to me that tuxfamily is relatively small, and
I wonder if they'll provide good backups.
3. Archives will be split to two. I wouldn't like it, but not
a critical factor to oppose.
4. If you decide to move, please test before deleting the GNOME ML.
5. There're several archives of the Sawfish ML. GNOME's is not so
much useful, but the fastest and most stable.

> - DL/GIT/BugZilla/ML/Statistics could be all at the same place
I'm not sure how much does it count, considering the sweat for the
transition. (You repeat it, and I repeat this. :)

By the way, is there a modern replacement of bugzilla? We don't rely
on it so much, but bugzilla is awkward.

> - better support and kinder people (if you ask me)
Is this the main reason?

And thank you very much for moving stuff from sourceforge.

Regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)