Re: Getting away from GNOME #5

On Tuesday 11 January 2011 04:49:00 Teika Kazura wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:19:04 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > I still would love to see Sawfish getting away from GNOME.
>
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 21:23:59 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > - DL/GIT/BugZilla/ML/Statistics could be all at the same place
> > - full control over admin rights (for GIT & Co.)
> > - per-user repos can be hosted there, too (either as branch or as
> > extra-repo
>
> Git is not a big problem. There's no "true" repository in git. Once
> you declare one is official, it's the official. (At least for us; We
> don't do "release 7.8.9 is officially this tag".) So as long as you

Well, yeah. ↓ Will only be moved once.

> don't move it around often, any is ok. Anyway TuxFamily only accepts
> real names, so I'm banned out.

... Well, I guess you'll have the problem with most services. (gnome.org for
example, too) - so it does atleast not worsen the situation. Though it would
of course be nice having you as a second person with admin access... I guess
I'll ask Timo or Janek if they register at TF.

> Even after you get the repo out of GNOME, we should retain the GNOME
> repo, so that we can receive translations. (Recently Sawfish
> translation seems more active than before. Maybe it's because we're
> active.)  And push back to GNOME sometimes.

shouldn't be a big deal (say define some git alias "git gnome" which does the
job easily)

> # Last time I wanted to say so, but we had a communication problem. ;)

Not for the first time ;)

> > - all current ML-Users can be resubscribed automatically
>
> 1. What happens to those who receive tons of emails a day when the
> address changes? E.g. if they have a strict policy for spam killing,
> will mails from the new server be thrown away unconsciously? (Core
> members won't complain much. Whom I'm concerned with are lurkers who
> sometimes help us greatly. Do I care excessively?)

They don't need to re-register, they are automatically subscribed, so they
can't miss the new ML. Also I would send everyone a mail 2 or 3 weeks before
the switch, so that they are informed.

> 2. Will it be archived outside of tuxfamily, too? Like gmane or
> nabble? It seems to me that tuxfamily is relatively small, and
> I wonder if they'll provide good backups.

Quick check shows that mail-archive.com does mirror the archive (interface
looks very familar). Dunno if others do, too.

> 3. Archives will be split to two. I wouldn't like it, but not
> a critical factor to oppose.

Yeah, that's a drawback.

> 4. If you decide to move, please test before deleting the GNOME ML.

I started testing. Perhaps in 1 or 2 months we can switch (perhaps earlier,
but more testing is good). Also the GNOME ML will not deleted immediately.

Dunno the GNOME guide-lines, but perhaps it will never be (there's a list of
deprecated MLs and those also are still accessible).

> 5. There're several archives of the Sawfish ML. GNOME's is not so
> much useful, but the fastest and most stable.
>
> > - DL/GIT/BugZilla/ML/Statistics could be all at the same place
>
> I'm not sure how much does it count, considering the sweat for the
> transition. (You repeat it, and I repeat this. :)

For me it does, as I personally think a centralized workflow is better than a
cluttered one. Also for users it would be easier. ("There can I find XYZ? -
GNOME? TuxFamily? SourceForge?")

> By the way, is there a modern replacement of bugzilla? We don't rely
> on it so much, but bugzilla is awkward.

We can setup webspace on TuxFamily. I'll check whether it meets the
requirements for the FlySpray Ticket-System (MySQL is available / we could use
this one - it's lightweight, fast, and less confussing in the admin backend).

(sawfish.tuxfamily.org could be a redirect to sawfish.wikia.com, and
sawfish.tuxfamily.org/bugs would contain FlySpray)

> > - better support and kinder people (if you ask me)
>
> Is this the main reason?

No, but one of them. The main reasons are: better admin control and
centralized workflow.

> And thank you very much for moving stuff from sourceforge.

No problem.