Re: Some kind of a roadmap to 1.8 (and beyond)

On Saturday 26 February 2011 08:14:29 Teika Kazura wrote:
> Thanks a lot, Chris. It must be tedious to make this list.
>
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:16:23 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > - setting up some different bug-trackers
>
> The pager's bugtracker at nanolx is ok, but I can't register at
> tuxfamily's, as fuchur says. (And it requires cookie. it'd better if
> it warns.)

The problem with FlySpray on TuxFamily is a random incompatibility in SWIFT
with a very few PHP 5 version under unknown circumstances. Chance to fix
without having to completely re-setup PHP on the Server: 0%.

Thus, I'll give you some others to test. I'll place a message then.

> > 04./05.03.:
> > - release of Sawfish 1.8RC2
>
> "Named tabgroup" change has to be tested too, so I think it's better
> to include it, making an rc once and for all. If it's done twice, the
> latter is likely to be tested less than the first one.

That means, it will come for 1.8 :)

> # BTW, RC1 was downloaded 24 times. When I saw the stat in January, it
> # was 13 or so. Thanks to all who tested. (But git snapshot has
> # advanced much further. :P)
>
> My todos:
> * hot-spot: accept lisp expression, too, in addition to a lisp func.
> * Some doc.
> * check the status of raisee-on-hover. I think it's better to put it
>   in wm/ext/auto-raise together with new "raise-on-enter".
>   (I have not understood the last argument on it yet. Oh, is it
>   removed? Discuss it in a seperate thread.)

It is. Things are changing fast these days.

> If my work delays, you may want to implement:
> * double exec prevention in jump-or-exec and hot-spot, using "pgrep".
>   Even if pgrep is not available in your environment, it won't hurt
>   since it's optional.

Hmm... I'll check this.

> > - setting up simple project page on Tuxfamily webspace, providing the
> > users
> >
> >   with all interessting links at once (Wiki, BugTracker, GIT, ML, etc
> >   etc.)
>
> Yeah, it's important. Tuxfamily's Sawfish page is a dead end. I
> remember you said it's auto generated and unconfigurable, but aren't
> there something we can do?

The page you are talking about is part of the Tuxfamily project-overview
pages. I'm refering to http://sawfish.tuxfamily.org, which is ordinary webspace
and used to host our bugtracker (later on).

> > After release of Sawfish 1.8.0
> >
> > - begin collaboration with MM (Michal Maruška) so that SawfishMM is
> > merged
>
> This'll be the centeral work in 1.9. Finally!
>
> > I really would like to hear your oppinions on this. As you can see,
> > Sawfish with GTK+3 will never make it in time (GTK+ 3.0.1 was releases
> > yesterday).
>
> Never mind, GTK3 delayed, too. Longhorn [deleted by MS censor.]
> No, what's important is 99% of softwares are still using gtk2. No
> reason to release now.

Of course, that was more meant to be a information.

> > rep-gtk is not dead. But I'm waiting on the final decision about REP
> > before speding my time on porting it to GTK+3
>
> Rational.

Though this one shouldn't be the hardest, there's enough sample code available
in GUILE or Python, which will aid in building a new glue-coder (depending on
the technique).

Chris