Re: Questionnaire 3 on Sawfish usage

On 07/08/10 08:47, Teika Kazura wrote:
Hi, here comes the third questionnaire on Sawfish usage.

1. What's your theme? Any comments on Sawfish theme?

I use mxflat, with a border width of 2 and title-contents border of 1. The theme is really lovely in taking up minimal amounts of room around a window, while looking very simple. It also sneaks a pixel of desktop on either side of a maximised window, meaning I can click through to it if I wish.

I tried creating a theme once, but my LISP skills were not up to it, so I'm glad mxflat is such a good match for me :)

2. Why you switched to Sawfish? Is there any feature lacking in
    Sawfish, but was present in your previous window manager?

Two things brought me in: intelligent window placement and customisability.

For placement I use "smart placement".

Initially, I only used the extremely flexible keybindings. Since then I've hacked together a few things, such as being able to generate both Polish and German symbols on a normal US-layout, by generating input events involving the compose key. E.g. "Super-z" generates "Compose . z" which results in "ż".

3. What's your trayer, if you're using Sawfish standalone?

Using sawfish within GNOME.

4. How do you switch the window? After all, it's the window manager. :)

I have five workspaces, bound to these keys: F9,F10,F11,F12,PrintScreen. This allows me to switch near-instantly between workspaces. I try to keep the amount of windows per workspace small, so that Super-Tab and Super-S-Tab is good enough for me.

As for the mouse, I have standard behaviour: click to focus. I really like how Sawfish doesn't always raise a window when it receives focus.

5. Do you switch the screen resolution? If so, tell us your related
    hacks, or what you want there.

No.

By the way, please add any of your wish items on "Long term todos"
page on the wiki:
http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/Long_term_todos.

Remember that what's difficult for you may be a minutes-hack for
else. (Rarely, but we've actually seen such cases.)

If I think of anything, I'll put it up. I'm rather happy with Sawfish at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Rafal Kolanski.