Re: NEWS on 1.6.0, restart+viewports = mess.

Hi.

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 15:12:15 +0900 (JST), Teika Kazura wrote:
> Please report, in some format, what you find inconvenient/bad/buggy...

I wanted to say *whatever* you find strange, but thanks anyway :)

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 09:07:12 -0500, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
>> Again the same question: what's the current viewport? If infinite
>> desktop is there, the Sawfish's conventional VP doesn't make sense.
>> We need a new definition, absorbing the old. This is the reason I did
>> a bit of poll on VP and ID. (Sorry I haven't analyzed it.)
>
> Infinite-desktop isn't really at odds with conventional viewports;
> it just bypasses some of the restrictions and safeguards of the
> conventional viewport system.  It's true that when x-offset and
> y-offset aren't multiples of screen-width and screen-height
> (respectively) you're not actually at a particular point on the
> viewport grid, but that's not really a problem.  And if you've got
> dynamic viewports turned on there isn't even a problem going off the
> edge of the current virtual desktop since the viewport-tracking
> variables will be automatically updated.

You're right. My question was vague. What I wanted to ask was: to
where to maximize after restart, if ID is on?

I think the coder has the right to choose the easy implementation, but
it's true that care, if not big, has to be taken for this issue.

But this may not be a problem. ID users don't maximize, I guess,
because it is not useful at all under ID.

> Infinite-desktop isn't really at odds with conventional viewports;

Yeah. At the same time, we need to polish the incorporation. It is
covered in my message on 18 Jul. (I've done nothing in this
topic since then. Sorry. But I've learned a bit of sawfish.gtk.widgets,
so implementation of radio button is possible, *after* news rewritement.)

Teika (Teika kazura)