Re: ChangeLog -> git log?

 Teika> Thanks, German. Can I ask more?

 Teika> 1. It may not be your case, but if people have different
 Teika> branches, which should be the date of hand-written ChangeLog?
 Teika> The day git commit

svn is bad for branch merging. We don't really use them, so it is not
really a problem for us.

 Teika> is done, or the day merge to the trunk is done? With the former, you
 Teika> can easily see the relation between ChangeLog item and git/svn log
 Teika> counterpart.  With the latter, suppose you want to see what happend
 Teika> recently, and it suffices to read the some first lines, through the
 Teika> items you've met last time.

One problem we have is that some people will not update the changelog no
matter what. I personally like a detailed ChangeLog that lists what the
changes are to each of the files. The "svn log" people are happy with
just one sentence per commit.

One way to deal with both problems is to commit the delta of the
ChangeLog as the commit log.

 Teika> # By the way, I put
 alias PG='git tag -f pull; git pull'
 Teika> So after pull, I can see the change with 'git log pull..'

 Teika> 2. Commit log is more firmly attached to the change. When you done git
 Teika> / svn blame, first you see is the commit log. So it should talk more
 Teika> verbosely then ChangeLog, like why the commit is desired, what lied
 Teika> behind, etc. And manual ChangeLog is more concise. (So when you do
 Teika> git-pull / svn update, first you read will be ChangeLog.) Am I right,
 Teika> do you think?

We have few developers. I usually look at svn log, because the
CHangelog.svn is updated by one developer once in a while.

--dmg

 Teika> Regards,
 Teika> Teika (Teika kazura)

Daniel M. German