Re: [TODO] Review Patches, please

Hi, Chris. Nice to see your braveness.

On Sat, 02 May 2009 13:12:01 +0200, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> Currently we got four paches in "Submitted patches"

Give me two weeks for patches not mentioned here.

> 3) Improved extensibility for window-order
>
> ... needs discussion and rewrite

This should go 'suspended', or maybe, 'needs long term development'
category. I'm a bit sorry that we can't answer the author's effort
right now. And thank you Chris for re-discovering this patch. When
someone can make use of it, this is a nice starting point.

> 1) 13 mouse buttons

This should be solved, but in 1.6 / 3.0?

> 3) Focus policy improvement
>
> ... sounds ok, Teika: didn't we introduce remprop in 1.3x? So any change
> for this to be in 1.5.0?

I'm against adopting it. But yes, it works, and it's extremely useful,
and I've been using it :) As a workaround, it is possible to put it in
'Scripts' section in wiki.

The reason I oppose is that in order to keep consistency, entire
rework of the GUI 'matched windows' should accompany, not only of the
appearance, but also of the underlying specification. It's because
some other options can have 'per window negation' of global options,
just like this patch provides for 'focus when mapped', but not the
rest. For the latter, a checkbox suffices and yes/no switch should be
removed. For the former (actually for all), the help in GUI is
necessary, and yes/no should be replaced with something better.
Research on other options may be at least laborious if
straightforward, but if worse, it would reveal other difficulties.

So without such study, the patch remains a mere quick'n'cheap hack.
It's a good goal for 1.6 / 3.0, but we shouldn't postpone the release
of 1.5 too long.

With regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)