Re: CentOS5 RPM for sawfish?

From: Michal Jaegermann <michal harddata com>
Subject: Re: CentOS5 RPM for sawfish?
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:53:26 -0600

>> I know, but they tend to differ in the way they manage packages and
>> the contents of the different packages as well as how to enable init
>> scripts which start services like xfs etc.
>
> I have to see yet any _real_ difference in the later.  Switching
> from sysv init to upstart across releases of the same distribution
> is a bigger jump. Adapting to changing package names and split
> variations is not something to write home about.

On gentoo I've typically do

rc-update add ypbind default

On CentOS I do:

chkconfig ypbind on

On gentoo /etc/hostname is typically read, on CentOS I have to set
HOSTNAME and DHCP_HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network. On gentoo I know
that the settings of the USE flags in /etc/make.conf can have an
impact on which features etc. are enabled in various packages.

This are minor differences, but it's easy to overlook some important
setting and make wrong assumptions when moving from one distribution
to another.

Petter