Help us with GPL / LGPL

Hi. If someone understands GPL / LGPL, please help us.

Recently Wang Diancheng has sent us a nice code for librep (See May 31
mail, or
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/sawfish-list/2009-May/msg00140.html)

The problem is the copyright. Wang Diancheng borrowed code from
glib, or more precisely, glib-2.x.y/glib/gutf8.c, which is licensed
with LGPL. On the other hand, librep is GPL. Should it be GPL, or LGPL?

I'd like to know what will be the proper copyright notice, too.

gutf8.c starts as:
/* gutf8.c - Operations on UTF-8 strings.
 *
 * Copyright (C) 1999 Tom Tromey
 * Copyright (C) 2000 Red Hat, Inc.
 *
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  [LGPL preamble follows]
The file by Wang Diancheng, named utf8.c, starts:
/* This file some code come from glib:
 * utf8.c - Operations on UTF-8 strings
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2009 Wang Diancheng.
 *
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  [LGPL preamble follows]

Is it enough?

# I have never understood GPL. Why not bsd license?

Thanks beforehand,
Teika (Teika kazura)