Re: Requirements in release

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:51:36 +0200
Janek Kozicki <janek_listy wp pl> wrote:

> Currently I got degraded to lurker, but at least I'm watching what's
> going on, and perhaps someday I'll do something useful for sawfish.
> Don't ever lose hope :)

Me too, except I'm losing hope for the X window system itself -- how much more cruft will have to be grafted onto it to make this old dog perform new tricks?

On the flip side I could use programable (and rather more automated) window management in Plan 9. I don't know how much of the sawfish code base would be useful. The *.jl files under lisp/sawfish/wm total 6 times as large as the *.[ch] of rio which performs many of the tasks of the window system as well as window management and has a built-in terminal of sorts. OTOH all of sawfish's compatibility code & a bit more besides could be junked. It's a bit of a stretch to think about porting sawfish but I could use decent window placement, window matching, and a host of other things.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.