Re: clipboard

The attached file might help for a less painful clipboard experience. ;-)  Save it in your $HOME.

Xterm-s that you start from now will paste the system (GTK?) clipboard contents when you press SHIFT-INS (or middle click).  So, to paste from Firefox into a terminal, just select in FF, hit CTRL-C then middle click or SHIFT-INS in the xterm.  This takes a bit of learning if you're used to the old behavior (which didn't require CTRL-C) but I found it more reliable.

To paste from XTerm into another application, simply select the text in the terminal using your mouse.  In the other app do CTRL-V (or paste from the edit menu etc).

Emacs has its own clipboard (accessible with M-w (copy), C-w (cut), C-y (paste)).  I wouldn't sacrifice it because it's quite powerful, so I added two more keybindings that deal with the system's clipboard:

(define-key global-map [(meta W)]          'clipboard-kill-ring-save)
(define-key global-map [(control Y)]       'clipboard-yank)

(note the capital W and Y).  Now when I press M-S-w it copies the selection to the system clipboard (so you get it with CTRL-V in other apps).  C-S-y will paste system clipboard into Emacs.

Hope this helps.

-Mihai