clipboard

I desktop is gnome. I always have problems with the clipboard. When I select in emacs or in xterm I cannot copy the selection into thunderbird or similar applications.

Today I noticed that there is a script names selection-push.jl and I thought that perhaps this would be the consolidated solution for the clipboard. But the script does not even load properly because sawfish.wm.util.selection does not seem to be there any more (sawfish 1.3.4).

Is there any advise on which direction I should look for a proper clipboard management? Having a working clipboard is so essential for a painless day that I cannot understand why is that it does not work for me just out of the box.

thanks,
 Rodrigo