Re: Problems after installing sawfish 1.6.0

Am Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:55:29 +0900 (JST)
schrieb Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com>:

> Hi, Gerhard.
>
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:19:57 +0100, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> >> Third, the configuration of the sawfish pager shows no text for the
> >> clickable configurations.
> >
> > This is known. It's a bug in SawfishConfig
>
> Nope. Delete pager.jlc, and you'll be happy again.

That's still a bug, though.

> Chris, could you release the pager again, commenting out byte
> compilation section in Makefile, and noting both in Makefile and
> pager.jl as:
> # Don't byte compile pager.jlc, or the texts in the configurator won't
> # be printed.

Later today.

> Well, putting the following in pager.jl doesn't work:
> (when batch-mode
>       (error "Don't compile this file, or texts in the configurator
> won't be printed. It's a librep bug."))
> (quit) instead of error doesn't solve.
>
> I don't think it will be fixed. To Switch to other lisp is easier
> and more profitable than to do sanity check in librep.

For the whole sawfish thing? Well, if the transistion could be
automated. But according to FAQ (haven't check wether it's still
valid) GUILE (and perhaps others, too) is missing:

"byte-code compilation, autoloading, built-in event-loop, ..."

I won't switch to something different, just to get rid of rep,
especially, since we got no control of the other thing, so it would be
rather difficult to push our changes, or if it lacks features librep
got. Also I'm not that happy with FDO projects, as they tend to be
semi-closed in development. Also you're (you is plural here) complaining
about not knowing enough about rep-internas and that it's therefore
difficult to work on it, but do you know the internas of your favourite
replacement? If not, then there's no chance for a change, as we end up
beeing in the same situation. Perhaps some don't like those statements
from mine, but I can't always be the "all-loving-Chris", you know.

Regards,
Chris