Re: Problems after installing sawfish 1.6.0

Am Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:53:02 +0100
schrieb Gerhard Kirchmann <gerhardkmn yahoo de>:

> Hi all,
>
> first thanks for the wonderful new release of sawfish.
>
> First, librep - as a prerequisite to sawfish - failed to configure as
> config.sub was missing. As a circumvention i executed
> autogen.sh which solved the problem.

That's already fixed.

> Second, having installed sawfish 1.6.0 there were problems with
> sawfish's own pager as well as with the pager of the gnome-panel.
>
> I used to work with four workspaces divided into two by two
> viewports. If you have more than one workspace and you click on a
> viewport of another workspace, windows get randomly moved around in
> the workspace you left by the click on the pager. As a temporary
> solution i switched to one workspace with 4 by 4 viewports. There
> windows don't move, when you click on another viewport.
> (BTW: this problem appeared in an older version of sawfish - but not
> in gnome's pager! - and was absent until sawfish 1.6.0 - unfortunately
> i've forgotten with which version the problem disappeared)

I'll check this.

> Third, the configuration of the sawfish pager shows no text for the
> clickable configurations.

This is known. It's a bug in SawfishConfig, whichs location I haven't
been able to find. More over this issue should have been fixed by a
patch in pager 0.6 + sawfish 1.3, but it's not.

> Fourth, there are some problems with emacs. With emacs 23.1 you can
> use a daemon. Since sawfish 1.6.0 i've to give the --display option
> explicitly, otherwise the daemon complains about the display although
> the $DISPLAY environment variable contains the correct value. This
> wasn't the case with sawfish 1.5.3 and previous versions. But this
> took me some time to find it out.

I never had that issue, but I'll check it.

> Fifth, there is another problem with emacs, but this problem is not
> anew. Starting a new emacsclient window thatwindow protrudes into the
> next viewport at the bottom. Consequently i have to move it upwards.
> This is a bit annoying.

You may try  to clear the window-history for Emacs (on the last
instance of it) and make sure sawfish remebers the position. Also make
sure that the window whichs position you rember is also fully in the
viewport when unmaximized, the issue should be gone then.