Re: Future Plans .....

Am Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:08:31 +0100
schrieb Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson googlemail com>:

> > Hi folks
> >
> > here's a small subset of my future plans for Sawfish:
> >
> > in [] the name of the people I would like to ask for
> > help/contribution on that topic
> >
> > Librep/Rep-GTK: R-Wrap
> >
> > Port g-wrap to librep and recreated rep-gtk from scratch with the
> > new mechanism.
> >
> > [Alexey, Jürgen]
> >
> > Sawfish:
> >
> > Compositor
> > Improve system for handling keys/keyboards
> >
> > [Timo, Janek, Teika, Jeremy]
> >
> > Recreate default themes with nicer, more visually appealing
> > graphics, say same theme, but more modern style.
> > Update Translations.
>
> I'm not sure if mxflat is a default theme or not, but since this is
> the theme I use and like it as is, I'd like to ask for keeping it
> intact. In my opinion no change to it is necessary, and especially no
> change for the sake of changing.

I've never said of all themes have to be changed, but for example I
have a new, more modern Crux theme in mind, but I've never found the
time to gimp it actually. Not that the current one is ugly, but it
looks dusty.

> > [Community]
> >
> > See also what is proposed in `Proposed Goals'
> >
> > Next Release: 3.0.0
> >
> > Skipping 1.7.0 and releasing 3.0.0 in Dec '10, so we have 12 months
> > time for the changes we need/want to do. And I guess we'll need
> > them. 1.6x will be supported 6 months with bugfixes and & co, just
> > like 1.3.5x and 1.5x have been.
>
> I'd be more happy with more incremental changes and correspondingly
> more frequent releases. This allows for more testing and more robust
> major releases.

Well, for 3.0 one alpha, beta and rc is planned, each after 3 months, a
second rc then feature freeze begins. In addition, there will be a
backported 1.7.0, with GTK+2 support, as 3.0 will be based on GTK+3 if
everything goes fine. Atleast that's what got in my mind lately.

> > Any thoughts?
>
> I think a mechanism should be found for testing releases before they
> are actually released. Very simple compilation related problems
> frequently have been arising lately and having buildbots or something
> similar would improve the situation quite a bit. I'm not sure if
> sf.net has facilities for this but I seem to remember they had a
> server farm or some such. Having the buildbots to configure, compile
> and install on multiple linux distros would be a major improvement.

compilation itself is not the problem, except the 4th hyphen in
--without-nine-mouse-buttons all issues were related to the packaging
scripts, so perhaps the build-service from OpenSUSE would be
interresting.