Re: Problems after installing sawfish 1.6.0

Am Sat, 26 Dec 2009 10:26:52 -0600
schrieb Jeremy Hankins <nowan nowan org>:

> Gerhard Kirchmann <gerhardkmn yahoo de> writes:
>
> > Second, having installed sawfish 1.6.0 there were problems with
> > sawfish's own pager as well as with the pager of the gnome-panel.
> >
> > I used to work with four workspaces divided into two by two
> > viewports. If you have more than one workspace and you click on a
> > viewport of another workspace, windows get randomly moved around in
> > the workspace you left by the click on the pager.
>
> So viewport-boundary-mode is set to either stop or wrap-around, and
> (when using sawfish-pager) pager-show-all-workspaces is t?

I've viewport-boundary-mod set to wrap-around and the
configuration as of the file ~/.sawfish/custom shows:

(custom-set-typed-variable (quote pager-show-all-workspaces) (quote t)
(quote boolean))

so all workspaces are shown.

> I did turn up a bug by turning pager-show-all-workspaces to t -- the
> pager seems to get confused about the locations of windows in other
> workspaces.  They appear to move to match any shift of viewport in the
> current workspace.  So if I move to the viewport below mine, the
> windows in other workspaces shift one viewport down as well.  All
> windows seem to move together, so their arrangement relative to each
> other never changes.

The movement of the windows is as you described above. With the
movement around (i.e.: clicking on different viewports of the other
workspace) they don't keep the original order in which they were as
you can see when clicking the expected viewport in the original
workspace.

With only one workspace or pager-show-all-workspaces set to false the
windows don't switch their position.

> Is this what you're seeing, or something different?  And if so, the
> problem is the same with gnome-pager?

It's the same problem with gnome-pager.

> This problem seems to be due to changes I made for dynamic viewports.
> Windows in other workspaces are no longer being shifted along with
> windows in the current workspace when the viewport is shifted.  I'll
> have to look into how the pager is generating its information.  And
> gnome-pager is showing the same problem?  (I don't have gnome, so
> can't test it.)

As I said before, gnome-pager shows the same problem

> > Fourth, there are some problems with emacs. With emacs 23.1 you can
> > use a daemon. Since sawfish 1.6.0 i've to give the --display option
> > explicitly, otherwise the daemon complains about the display
> > although the $DISPLAY environment variable contains the correct
> > value. This wasn't the case with sawfish 1.5.3 and previous
> > versions. But this took me some time to find it out.
>
> Are you giving the display option to emacs, or to emacsclient?  I use
> the daemon as well, but haven't had any problems.  Are you sure that
> the emacs daemon process itself has a properly set DISPLAY?

I give the display option to emacs not to emacsclient. Over Christmas
I changed my system to openSUSE 11.2 i.e. gnome 2.28 and there it
functions without the display option.

With openSUSE 11.1 and the previous version of gnome it functioned only
with the display option.

> > Fifth, there is another problem with emacs, but this problem is not
> > anew. Starting a new emacsclient window thatwindow protrudes into
> > the next viewport at the bottom. Consequently i have to move it
> > upwards. This is a bit annoying.
>
> I haven't seen this either, and I can't think what might be causing
> it.

As I can say when the window protudes it's always by 15 pixels.

Gerhard Kirchmann <gerhardkmn yahoo de>