Re: [SF] [README] New development cycle

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 03:56:50PM +0100, Janek Kozicki wrote:

> And also I wanted to encourage Scott Scriven to add his tabbing
> support. He is still reluctant because it's heavily untested and
> -experimental was the place for initial implementation. Last time I
> checned he stopped this because he couldn't make a useful testing
> environment (which allows easy restarting of sawfish and testing it,
> without closing your entire session).

That is pretty easy.  Back in mid '90 I was using a script to
keep the session alive and switch the WM (it was X11 twm and
SunOS olwm. :) It goes something like:

** start a script, wm.sh, when you start you graphical session

** the wm.sh script holds:

    #!/bin/sh

    sawfish &

    sleep 365d &

    wait

** kill and start different WMs at command prompt like:

    prompt> killall sawfish; sleep 2; metacity &

** to close the session kill the 'sleep 365d' process (and
   sawfish, if never switched the WM in the current session.)

Everything can be automatized, by saving the PIDs of sleep
365d and the current WM so you can kill and close the session
from another script, etc.

Mihai