Re: Randomly Disappearing Windows

Hi,
mario inf ufrgs br (2005-11-09 at 1801.05 +0000):
> Hello Pat
>
> On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 13:35:38 -0500 Pat Regan <thehead patshead com> wrote:
>
> > I am completely at a loss as to how to debug this.  I thought for sure
> > you were on the right track after I read the link you sent me, since I
> > know I lose windows when  mplayer used to crash.  This time I was able
> > to make wine crash so I could lose a window :).  Hopefully I can use
> > that to repeat it again.

I have found windows "disappearing" with sawfish crash/restart. They
seem to be placed "out", so I use my custom menu to give them focus
and the sf pack functions to move them back into visible areas.

> I'm gonna write some things I'd do in your case, hoping to help you to
> find out what the problem is.
>
> I would:
>
> 1. Run xwininfo against the window that eventually disappears to get its
>    window ID.
>
> 2. Wait for it to disappear.

If the window is still alive, xwininfo -root -tree (beware of huge
listing) could help too, instead of trying to figure in advance which
ones will disappear.

GSR