Re: [sabayon] While I'm at it, potential change to sabayon. Input, please!

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Scott Balneaves
<sbalneav legalaid mb ca> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> While I'm responding to things, I've been meaning to post this for a couple of
> days, so while it's in my mind...
>
> Currently, sabayon stores it's desktop profiles, and xml files in
> /etc/desktop-profiles.  This is problematic, since there is another package in
> the debian package repositories called, comically enough, "desktop-profiles",
> which stores IT'S files in... </me looks into crystal ball, consults entrails,
> skrys the winds, talks with the oracle...> /etc/desktop-profiles.

Just so we're clear, oracle or Oracle? ;-)

> This causes a problem for packaging things, since now you have two packages
> which are trying to maintain the same /etc directory.  Bad mojo ensues.
>
> So, to solve this issue for downstream packagers, I'd like to suggest that
> sabayon store it's goodies into a LESS generically named area.
>
> /etc/sabayon or
> /etc/sabayon-profiles
>
> comes to mind.  I'm not 100% up on my FHS, but /usr/share/sabayon might also be
> an option.

/usr is for static files created during program installation and so
wouldn't be appropriate here unless Sabyon shipped pre-built profiles.
I think FHS might suggest /var/lib/sabayon as the appropriate place if
/etc/ is not right.

> I'd prefer, myself, to just use "sabayon" instead of "sabayon-profiles",
> because as a first step to cleaning up the logging issue, it might be nice to
> read the sabayon-debug-log.conf file from the /etc directory as well, so a more
> generic name would be preferable.

I think "sabayon" is good with the only possible confusion that I can
think of is for Sabayon Linux users running Sabayon, but I doubt you'd
be adding to the confusion.

-Jordan