Re: [sabayon] Running sabayon-apply at login

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 13:48 -0500, William Lachance wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:47:55 +0000, Mark McLoughlin <markmc redhat com> wrote:
> >   1) Install a script which runs sabayon-apply as
> >      /etc/X11/gdm/Postsession/:0

> >   2) Document that you need to add /usr/sbin/sabayon-apply
> >      to /etc/X11/gdm/Postsession/Default in order for profiles to get
> >      applied.

> I don't know enough about the specifics of how gdm works to comment on
> which of (1) or (2) is better. However, I will say that this is the
> general strategy we have used (actually, we just dumped the script
> that applied the profile file into '/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d') and it
> seems to work ok.
>
> >   3) Add a PAM module which would run sabayon-apply.
> This sounds rather overengineered to me-- the only justification I can
> think of for doing it
> this way would be if you actually needed some sort of information from
> the pam conversation to correctly get/apply the profile. And this is
> not the case at the moment AFAIK.

What if you're not logging in at the gdm prompt? The astonishment factor
of getting vastly different application behavior depending on where you
typed your password is going to be really high and I suspect the
inconsistency would be unappreciated both by users and admins.
--
John Dennis <jdennis redhat com>