Re: [sabayon] Running sabayon-apply at login

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:47:55 +0000, Mark McLoughlin <markmc redhat com> wrote:
> Hey,
>         So, I think these are our options
>
>   1) Install a script which runs sabayon-apply as
>      /etc/X11/gdm/Postsession/:0
>
>      Problem here is that it will only run when DISPLAY is :0 and we're
>      assuming that GDM won't start installing something there in the
>      future.
>
>   2) Document that you need to add /usr/sbin/sabayon-apply
>      to /etc/X11/gdm/Postsession/Default in order for profiles to get
>      applied.
>
>      Problem here is that it sucks. On the plus side, if sabayon was
>      actually added to a distro, you'd just add it to the script in the
>      GDM package. It also highlights the need for a hook like this, so
>      at some point we might actually add the hook we need to GDM.

I don't know enough about the specifics of how gdm works to comment on
which of (1) or (2) is better. However, I will say that this is the
general strategy we have used (actually, we just dumped the script
that applied the profile file into '/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d') and it
seems to work ok.

>   3) Add a PAM module which would run sabayon-apply.
>
>      Down side is that you still need to make a configuration change -
>      i.e. add
>
>        session option pam_sabayon.so
>
>      to which services in /etc/pam.d you want. Another down side is I
>      suspect people might shout at us and call us crackheads for
>      executing things from PAM modules (but pam_xauth does run xauth
>      so...)

This sounds rather overengineered to me-- the only justification I can
think of for doing it
this way would be if you actually needed some sort of information from
the pam conversation to correctly get/apply the profile. And this is
not the case at the moment AFAIK.

--
William Lachance
wrlach gmail com