RE: Rygel-0.32.1 will not stream outside the gnome evironment

I just discovered a further problem in using tracker to get rygel
working - I'd like to use the RPi3 headless, but neither tracker nor
gsettings will work without an x11 display.

That's not true. it works perfectly fine without. If you don't want to use gsettings,
you can export TRACKER_USE_CONFIG_FILES=1 and use the old-style ini-files config.

$ tracker daemon -s
Starting miners?
Could not start miners, manager could not be created, Cannot autolaunch D-Bus without X11 $DISPLAY

..so I guess you're saying I need to create an init.d that starts some combination of the following?

$ ps aux | grep tracker
/usr/local/lib/tracker-1.0/tracker-miner-user-guides
/usr/local/lib/tracker-1.0/tracker-store
/usr/local/lib/tracker-1.0/tracker-miner-fs
/usr/local/lib/tracker-1.0/tracker-miner-extract
/usr/local/lib/tracker-1.0/tracker-miner-apps