Re: Rygel created UPnP stream help please

Hi Mark,

thanks for your help.

I'm afraid we haven't tested dLeyna with a Onkyo/Samsung device, although we do test against other Samsung products without any (well many) problems.  As I don't have one of these devices, I can only guess as to what the problem might be.

Where you able to see anything useful from my tcpdump?

Can you name some devices you test ("streaming-to") against so I can see if I can get one to test against?

It could be that your code is working with XBMC and not the Onkyo as AFAIK XBMC is UPnP compliant where as Onkyo is DLNA compliant and I think DLNA devices require the meta data argument.

Ah. So DLNA certified devices are not expected to work without it (meta data) at all? My understanding is that this functionality (streaming) is not in UPnP specification at all....

To do this you will need to update to the new dLeyna components.  There are 4 components that need to be built.

done.

> Can you give a small example how I should modify this for open_uri_ex?

To call the new open_uri_ex method you first need to retrieve the meta-data from rygel.  You can do this using mediaconsole.py in dleyna-server/test/dbus.

./mc.sh
> upnp = UPNP()
> upnp.servers()

# This should print a list of servers.  Find the path for the
# Rygel server and type.  The path will be
# /com/intel/dLeynaServer/server/0 if you only have one server.

> root = Device("/com/intel/dLeynaServer/server/0")

# Now you need to find the path for the file you are trying to play.
# The easiest way to do this it to use the tree command which does
# a depth first search of the entire DMS.

> root.tree()

# Note down the path of the file you are interested in, e.g.,
# /com/intel/dLeynaServer/server/0/232323

> obj = MediaObject("<PATH OF FILE>")
> obj.print_meta_data()

You should see the meta data of the file you want to play on the Onkyo.

Now you just need to provide this as the second parameter to renderer-console's open_uri_ex command, e.g.,

> renderer.open_uri_ex(args.playURI,"<META DATA>")

I will have to modify both mediaconsole.py and renderer-console first to accept command line flags. Then I will try this.

However, it looks like this functionality really belongs into renderer-console, especially as you say that renderer.open_uri cannot work at all as it does not provide meta data, and
the purpose of renderer.open_uri_ex is to make use of it...?

> Also, is there a way to select a renderer by UDN? Or even "Friendly Name"?
> Using UDN would to me make more sense then the device path, which a
> transient, where UDN is permanently unique identifier of a device....

Not currently, but I do have some code to do this.  I'll update mediaconsole and renderconsole.

That would be great and simply things for me quite a bit. I think I'll wait for this to be updated before I start working on them - can you please let us know when you may be able to commit this update?

Thanks,
Andrej