Re: Sony BDS580 client

Thanks very much for the reply Jens!

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Jens Georg <mail jensge org> wrote:
On Fr, 2012-04-27 at 10:18 +1000, Nicholas Manojlovic wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm having a few issues and wondering if others could help me solve if
> it is a Rygel issue (for further investigation) or a client issue.
>

> Server:
> $ rygel --version
> Rygel 0.14.0
>

> Client:
> Sony BluRay S580, wireless network
>

> Issues:
>

> 1. Sometimes files load immediately and stream, other times files take
> up to 5 minutes before they begin playing. I can't determine what
> makes one file different from another, but they're all fairly
> generic .avi (xvid etc). I have the gstreamer -good -bad -ugly
> packages installed.

Does it always fail for the same files or randomly? Even when
transcoding it shouldn't take five minutes.

The same files. But I can't work out what is different between certain files - I am assuming slowness on one hand is caused by transcoding, but why does it transcode some files and not others? Unless there are minor differences in the containers used that I am unaware of.

> 2. Tracker - doesn't display all my files, and displays files outside
> of where I want it to look. I asked tracker-preferences to
> ignore /home/user/Documents, and I asked rygel-preferences not to
> include /home/user/Documents, but still tracker displays files from
> this location. Meanwhile, it doesn't display all files
> from /home/user/Videos. I can't work out any sort of pattern. If I use
> Media Export, I am able to browse and play those files. (feature
> request, tracker can do a 'folders' view?) Is there a way I can
> 'reset' tracker so it reindexes everything?

rygel-preferences entertains MediaExport only. To check why tracker does
not like some files, you can run

a) /usr/lib/tracker/tracker-miner-fs -e <file> to check if the miner
considers the file to be extracted and

b) /usr/lib/tracker/tracker-extract -f <file> to check what data it
would get from the file and why it doesn't.

To reset tracker completely, you can use tracker-control --hard-reset.
You probably need to restart it afterwards with tracker-control --start

Thanks, I'll play around and see where I get to.

> 3. No start/stop/pause. Other DLNA servers have this function, but not
> Rygel. Feature wish list?

What so you mean by start/stop/pause?

Sorry, my mistake. I meant pause when viewing videos. I can successfully pause when listening to music, but the functionality doesn't work when watching a video.

> 4. Music track order does not reflect track numbers

Short version: That's your client's fault.

Long version: If the client does not ask us for a proper sort order -
and apparently no hardware vendor bothers to implement that - we need to
chose one. Currently that's by title. There are several bugs open about
that already.

Indeed, thanks very much for this explanation and your email. Much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Nicholas