Re: Sony BDS580 client

On Fr, 2012-04-27 at 10:18 +1000, Nicholas Manojlovic wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm having a few issues and wondering if others could help me solve if
> it is a Rygel issue (for further investigation) or a client issue.
>

> Server:
> $ rygel --version
> Rygel 0.14.0
>

> Client:
> Sony BluRay S580, wireless network
>

> Issues:
>

> 1. Sometimes files load immediately and stream, other times files take
> up to 5 minutes before they begin playing. I can't determine what
> makes one file different from another, but they're all fairly
> generic .avi (xvid etc). I have the gstreamer -good -bad -ugly
> packages installed.

Does it always fail for the same files or randomly? Even when
transcoding it shouldn't take five minutes.

> 2. Tracker - doesn't display all my files, and displays files outside
> of where I want it to look. I asked tracker-preferences to
> ignore /home/user/Documents, and I asked rygel-preferences not to
> include /home/user/Documents, but still tracker displays files from
> this location. Meanwhile, it doesn't display all files
> from /home/user/Videos. I can't work out any sort of pattern. If I use
> Media Export, I am able to browse and play those files. (feature
> request, tracker can do a 'folders' view?) Is there a way I can
> 'reset' tracker so it reindexes everything?

rygel-preferences entertains MediaExport only. To check why tracker does
not like some files, you can run

a) /usr/lib/tracker/tracker-miner-fs -e <file> to check if the miner
considers the file to be extracted and

b) /usr/lib/tracker/tracker-extract -f <file> to check what data it
would get from the file and why it doesn't.

To reset tracker completely, you can use tracker-control --hard-reset.
You probably need to restart it afterwards with tracker-control --start

> 3. No start/stop/pause. Other DLNA servers have this function, but not
> Rygel. Feature wish list?

What so you mean by start/stop/pause?

> 4. Music track order does not reflect track numbers

Short version: That's your client's fault.

Long version: If the client does not ask us for a proper sort order -
and apparently no hardware vendor bothers to implement that - we need to
chose one. Currently that's by title. There are several bugs open about
that already.