Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Request for comment: IPv6 DAAP

Le dimanche 02 janvier 2011 à 16:55 -0500, Calvin Walton a écrit :
> On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 14:46 -0600, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> > GNOME Bugzilla ticket #402477 points out that Rhythmbox does not support
> > DAAP over IPv6. In fact, libdmapsharing does not quite work with IPv6
> > yet. I would like to fix this.
> >
> > The largest change requires that Rhythmbox listen on an IPv6
> > address. There is a patch at the bug referenced above that implements
> > the following logic:
> >
> > 1. Try to listen on IPv6
> >
> > 2. If that fails, try to listen on IPv4
> >
> > So, IPv6 will be used if available and IPv4 will only be used if IPv6
> > fails. I don't think I like this technique. What should Rhythmbox
> > do? Should there be a "use IPv6" checkbox in the DAAP plugin
> > configuration?
>
> This doesn't seem particularly useful; for compatibility with older
> devices or software running on a network which only support IPv4, it
> would be best if Rhythmbox continues to listen on IPv4 addresses even if
> IPv6 is supported as well.
>
> Because of the complexities of addressing computers which only have
> link-local addresses (you need to specify the interface to use with
> "fe80::XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX%eth0" notation, and determining that can be
> difficult), it might be best to only use IPv6 DAAP if a routeable
> address is configured? Unless you know a way to make it just work :)

Avahi you tell you which interface can be used to reach a given
link-local address afaik. Enabling DAAP only if routable address is
found would be non-sense since DAAP is supposed to just work for all
basic network situations and auto-assigned IPv4 or v6 belong to this.