Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Request for comment: IPv6 DAAP

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 14:46 -0600, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> GNOME Bugzilla ticket #402477 points out that Rhythmbox does not support
> DAAP over IPv6. In fact, libdmapsharing does not quite work with IPv6
> yet. I would like to fix this.
>
> The largest change requires that Rhythmbox listen on an IPv6
> address. There is a patch at the bug referenced above that implements
> the following logic:
>
> 1. Try to listen on IPv6
>
> 2. If that fails, try to listen on IPv4
>
> So, IPv6 will be used if available and IPv4 will only be used if IPv6
> fails. I don't think I like this technique. What should Rhythmbox
> do? Should there be a "use IPv6" checkbox in the DAAP plugin
> configuration?

This doesn't seem particularly useful; for compatibility with older
devices or software running on a network which only support IPv4, it
would be best if Rhythmbox continues to listen on IPv4 addresses even if
IPv6 is supported as well.

Because of the complexities of addressing computers which only have
link-local addresses (you need to specify the interface to use with
"fe80::XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX%eth0" notation, and determining that can be
difficult), it might be best to only use IPv6 DAAP if a routeable
address is configured? Unless you know a way to make it just work :)

--
Calvin Walton <calvin walton gmail com>