Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Elementary

2010/9/24 ammonkey <yankmemo gmail com>:

>> Wouldn't it be better to work on trying to get all these things in
>> rhythmbox proper ? The closer you are to upstream, the easier your
>> changes will be to maintain.
>
> It's up to upstream to tell us if they are interested or not, of course it
> would be much more easier, but hey it's not my project.

Hmm, in my mind it works the other way round, you hack locally on a
project, try to get changes upstream, and only if there are big
differing point of views between you and upstream, a fork might be
considered as an option. But to my eyes, it's up to you to be the one
pushing the patches for integration, it's not up to upstream to handle
this.

> So far the only rhythmbox core modifications i see, would only concern
> moving some elements in the toolbar and add the possibility to hide the menu
> bar by a simple shortcut, the rest can be done via plugins.

Even for things done via plugins, pushing so that they get integrated
upstream can be a good thing.

> Another interesting thing to do would be to propose a toolbar editor. A
> toolbar editor exist already in nautilus-elementary,

Is it the same toolbar editor as the one in Epiphany ?

> it would be very easy
> to port this code and every user would be happy to customize the toolbar to
> their need.

Hmm, this is too much of a generalization, I'm not interested in doing
that at all, the default toolbar works for me :) so you can't say that
every user will be happy ;)

Cheers,

Christophe