Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] RhythmPnP Plugin

Hi,

On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 00:19 +1000, Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 4:07 AM, Andrea Del Signore <sejerpz tin it> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm Andrea and I'm the author of RhythmPnP plugin and this message is to
> > see if there's some interest from the Rhythmbox developers to include
> > RhythmPnP in the Rhythmbox's standard plugin set.
> >
> > RhythmPnP is a plugin written in Vala that adds to Rhythmbox the ability
> > to play music from an Universal Plug and Play media server.
>
> We already have a UPnP plugin, but that doesn't mean we won't consider
> replacing it. If your plugin provides the same features, is of at
> least the same quality code-wise, and is more actively maintained,
> then we'll consider it.

Maybe you can consider to replace just the "client" part with mine?

I can't say a word about the "same quality code-wise" part of your
phrase because I don't do any python programming :) and my plugin is
written in vala, but I can tell you that I believe that mine is good
enough ;)

All I can say is that I use my plugin daily and I can commit to make it
works at least until I'll use Rhythmbox as my media player (btw. even if
I'm a quiet silent developer I'm here from before gnome 1.4 release)

> How does your plugin relate to the rhythmbox-gupnp plugin here:
> http://gitorious.org/gupnp/rhythmbox-gupnp ?

>From a quick code review I think that this plugin is the server
counterpart of mine: it publish the rhythmbox library through the UPnP
protocol.

> > May be there's an overlap with the coherence plugin functionality, but
> > I'm not sure because it never worked on my system. One thing that I'm
> > sure is that the coherence plugin will act as a media server too, while
> > RhythmPnP plugin is just a "client": an UPnP digital media player.
>
> We'd want to have both client and server UPnP support in some form, so
> without a replacement server plugin, it'd be hard to justify adding
> your plugin.

Yes this makes sense, I specified the rhythmpnp's  scope *exactly* for
this reason and because I never understood if the coeherence plugin is
just a server or a client or both.

> One thing in favour of your plugin is that the libraries you're using
> are all part of the GNOME desktop and external dependencies.
>
> On that note, since Rygel has been accepted into the desktop suite,
> I'd be happy with a plugin exposing the Rhythmbox music library
> through Rygel rather than an in-process server.

I think that couldn't be done until Rhythmbox and Rygel will share the
same music library db, maybe through tracker?

My plugin just "uses" Rhythmbox to play the library exposed by Rygel, in
other words Rhythmbox will be a digital media "player", it's a client (a
consumer) of what Rygel will publish on the network, Rhythmpnp doesn't
publish anything on the network.

For example in my environment I've a headless server (that is located in
my attic) that runs Rygel and I use Rhythmbox and RhythmPnP to play some
song of my music library while I am in another room in my house.

> > My main intent is to support the Rygel Media Server, that is also the
> > main server I used to do the testing, but I think that every UPnP server
> > (version 2) that has search capability should work with RhythmPnP.
> >it integrate rygel audio library with rhythmbox.

What I think is that RhythmPnP *and* rhythmbox-gupnp together are a
replacement for the coherence plugin, but I'm proposing just the client
plugin to be part of Rhythmbox.

I hope that this clarify some of your doubts.

Ciao,
	Andrea