Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] G'day folks - new user andpotential developer

Hello Dave,

David Martin - Airgead Studio a écrit :

What I'm looking at doing is adding an autofill option (random songs or random albums) as my ipod (nano) isn't big enough to sync my entire collection.
The auto-fill is option is something that is often asked for. I can't remember if someone had written a plugin to do it or not, maybe someone on the list will know :)

The second thing I would like to do is enhance the podcast functionality. I subscribe to a lot of podcasts so I use podget running in my server to download them overnight then write them to the ipod using rythmbox. Unfortunately this doesn't set the media type so although I can manually add them to the podcast playlist they don't work as proper podcasts. I was thinking of borrowing from ml_ipod and allowing you to set a section of your media library (a folder or set of genres) that contains podcasts and setting the media type appropriately when files are transfered.
Podcasts is an area of the iPod plugin which deserve some love. Since I'm not using podcasts myself, I tend to prioritize other stuff before polishing podcast support :) However, the media type issue you mention is a bit worrying since the iPod plugin is supposed to be able to set it :) Which version of rhythmbox are you using ?

If this sort of thing is already in the works I don't want to duplicate effort. I also don't want to take this in a direction other folks don't want to go. If the folks who handle the ipod plug-in hang around on the list, could you let me know if A- this sounds like a good feature to add and B - this isn't something you are already working on? Also, what is the protocol for submitting changes? Should I raise a bug in bugzilla to cover it and submit a patch or is there another prefered way?

Yep bugzilla is the way to go, but it's generally better to discuss about how you plan to do things (especially UI changes) to make sure your patch won't be rejected because it doesn't fit well with RB UI. If you want to discuss changes, this can be done here, on bugzilla, or on our IRC channel (irc.gnome.org #rhythmbox).

Hope that helps, welcome :)

Christophe