Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Compiling issues on debian (debian/changelog and debian/control)

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009, giopas wrote:
> > Try grabbing the debian packaging from here:
> >
> > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-gnome/packages/unstable/rhythmbox/debian/#_packages_unstable_rhythmbox_debian_
> > or use "apt-get source rhythmbox" and re-use the debian dir.
> >

> That means that Debian packagers (e.g. Loic Minier?) have manually edited
> the changelog in debian/ at the time of the packaging, but these changes
> have not been uploaded back to git (which - afaik - is the only version
> system used by rhythmbox, anymore). Is it right? How did they proceeded to
> compile it?

 Debianish distros usually dont maintain the debian/ dir in the upstream
 VCS.  Due to limitations in the Debian source package format which are
 being fixed, it's not possible to "remove" downstream a file which is
 in the debian/ dir in the upstream tarball.  That means that if Debian
 or Ubuntu needs to update the packaging to drop a file below debian/,
 they have to rebuild the upstream tarball themselves to drop debian/.

 Also, debian/ differs across distros, so we prefer if upstream doesn't
 have one at all and Debian maintains its debian/ and Ubuntu its debian/
 based on Debian's.

  Cheers
--
Loïc Minier