Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox - IPOD use case

Klaus,

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 23:49 +0100, Klaus Reichl wrote:
> [...]
>  > > the SW), however, after running rhythmbox on it a could think of a new
>  > > spring.
>  > >
>  > > What I'd like to see is:
>  > >
>  > > 1) (amarok inspired): no interrelationship between different computers
>  > > and target (MP3 Player)
>  > >
>  > >    => iTunes and Rhythmbox are wrong in the sense that they argue
>  > >       the illusion of comfort because of the interrelationship between
>  > >       the ONE computer and the player
>  > >
>  > >    This illusion is wrong and plays for $$ SHOPS
>  > >
>  > >    => I would like to download to IPOD target from where ever I am
>  > >       and paid for service independent of the backing computer
>  > >       e.g. Home Computer summarizing MY CDs
>  > >            Company Environment for shared buyings
>  > >            Laptop for own offerings
>  > >            - worked on my Laptop last summer pulling in some CDs
>  > > 	     all other (located on my main computer) where killed by
>  > >              iTunes)
>  > >
>  > > 2) (this is my idea):
>  > >    => save the Music in arbitrary format (OCC in my case)
>  > >
>  > >    => automatically translate it to whatever the target (player)
>  > > 	is capable of storing.
>  > >
>  > >    So here is what I'm currently doing:
>  > >
>  > >    * Download CD to computer in OGG or alike
>  > > 	(goal: backup without lossage)
>  > >
>  > >    * Convert OGG => MP3 (sound-convert)
>  > >
>  > >    * Burn the (alternative directory) to IPOD
>  > >
>  > >    What I'd like:
>  > >
>  > >    * Download CD to arbitrary format
>  > >
>  > >    * Burn it to IPOD transparantly (converting from OGG -> MP3
>  > > on-the-fly).
>  > >
>  > >    This would be real cook, n'est pas?
>  > >
>  >
>  > Not sure if this is what you are asking, but Rhythmbox already converts
>  > transparently between music formats, depending on your settings. In my
>  > case, my music collection in lossless flac-format, and Rhythmbox
>  > converts to ogg vorbis when I transfer files from the library to my
>  > SanDisk Sansa Clip. (ogg- and flac-capable flash player, btw, but I have
>  > the 2GB version, where flac would consume too much space)
>
> Maybe I'm not UP-TO-DATE with my version, however, I never say this
> feature yet.  That's exactly what I was searching for (beside others).
>
> My version is Debian etch rhythmbox 0.9.6-8 upgraded to Debian lenny RB 0.11.6-1

I don't know exactly which version this feature was introduced in, but I
did think it was before 0.9.6. However, this is what I did to get this
working :

- add an .is_audio_player file to your mass storage player. This
contains the folder(s) music should be transfered to, and the file
formats this player supports.

- Edit -> Preferences -> Music -> Set 'Preferred format'. This is the
format Rhythmbox converts to when transfering music to a portable
device. I chose 'CD Quality, Lossy' ( ogg vorbis ).

This should work on any mass storage device. I don't know if the iPod is
handled equally.