Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox - IPOD use case

Hi,

Christophe Fergeau writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > 2008/11/17 Klaus Reichl <Klaus_Reichl chello at>:
 > >
 > >   => iTunes and Rhythmbox are wrong in the sense that they argue
 > >      the illusion of comfort because of the interrelationship between
 > >      the ONE computer and the player
 >
 > I'm not sure why you say that with rhythmbox the ipod is associated
 > with a single computer ? How is rhythmbox different from amarok in
 > this area ?

It had the feeling so far.  Maybe I'm not actual with my version
(Debian etch rhythmbox 0.9.6-8 upgraded to Debian lenny RB 0.11.6-1
now).  Up to now rhythmbox tried to synchronize the computers view
with the target ipod complaining if you just want to __extend__ with
parts of a foreign Music collection not synchronize.

 > >   * Download CD to computer in OGG or alike
 > >        (goal: backup without lossage)
 >
 > Fwiw, ogg (vorbis) is a lossy format, you want flac if you want some
 > lossless storage

Yea, you're right, I did want to say "flac", however, the point is
below ...

 > >   What I'd like
 > >
 > >   * Download CD to arbitrary format
 > >
 > >   * Burn it to IPOD transparantly (converting from OGG -> MP3
 > > on-the-fly).
 >
 > Rhythmbox already does the transparent conversion. Maybe you don't
 > have a gnome media profile set up to encode to mp3 ? The easiest might
 > be to setup sound-juicer so that it can rip to mp3, then rhythmbox
 > will be able to use that configuration to transcode from ogg to mp3.

That's what I had.  Ripped the CD to flac and used sound-juicer to
convert to mp3.  After including the resulting mp3 directory you have
two versions (the original "flac" and the converted "mp3") in your
Music folders.

So what I have now:

- My "normal" account has "flac".
- A different account converts "flac" to "mp3" in a different HOME
  environment.
- The ipod is maintained by this secondary account to:
  - not have flacs on the ipod
  - not have mp3   on the Music directory where "flacs" are already
    there

This is clumsy!

 > Hope that helps,

Thanks for your comments, maybe you have better ideas than I had
implementing the above.

 > Christophe

Klaus