Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Classical Music or Audiobooks on Rhythmbox

At 4:49p -0400 on Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Sol wrote:
> So sometimes (depending on the state of a big state machine) I need up
> to 3 clicks to order by a particular criteria, right?

Yeah, that sounds right.

But now that you've "voiced" it, I can see that being a concern.  Heh,
an option would be needed for "Multi-column sorting" in the preferences,
or something.

> Is there a concise way of communicate that state back to the user?

Honestly, I hadn't thought that far.  Maybe a slight shading of the
column header?  After a couple of clicks, the first-order column would
be the darkest?  Or perhaps a number gets added to the column headers
(Title - 1, Artist - 2).

> One more point. What exactly would be the result of clicking, in this
> particular order, one after another, <Genre>, <Artist>, <Album>, <Artist>?

In SQL think, nothing.  The final <Artist> is superfluous since you've
already sorted by <Artist>.

The question is what would happen from a user interface perspective.  I
don't know?  Nothing?  Or perhaps that resets <Artist> to the
first-ordering column?  Both could make sense to me, especially if the
state is communicated to the user somehow.

What do you think?

Kevin