Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Classical Music or Audiobooks on Rhythmbox

At 2:33p -0400 on Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Sol wrote:
> As far as I can tell the implicit order of tracks depends on "track
> number" and "disc number". Are you aware of the "disc number" meta data
> field? A prerequisite is that all Discs of your multi-cd-box share the
> same "album" name. This should give you exactly what you asked for (at
> least it works for me;).

On this note, something that has bugged me (but not enough to file a
feature request) is that I can only order by one explicit attribute at a
time.  That is, if I click on Artist, Rhythmbox orders the entire
viewable collection by the artists' names.

If I then click on Genre, it orders the entire viewable collection by
genre.  This is *sometimes* what I want, but other times I want to order
by the Artist, and then within each artist, order by the genre.

Since I note there is development talk about perhaps using SQLite
(rhythmdb/DESIGN), I'll point out that this is very easy to do in SQL:

SELECT title, artist, genre FROM songs ORDER BY artist, genre;

As far as user interface, I think a single click would update the
current result set (i.e. Click on Artist to order by artist, then click
on Genre to sub-order by <Artist, Genre>)

Kevin