Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] question: i moved my music library folder but them all my points or stars for my songs disappeared.

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 16:56 +0100, Piotr Gaczkowski wrote:
> Anyway, I put it once again, why Rhythmbox should have its own database
> if Tracker already does the management itself? Heck, it even has support
> for playlists and so on. Using native DB would only have sense if
> Tracker is for some reasons disabled or not working correctly.

If we're going to add support for things like Tracker, we should really
be using Xesam rather than any of the alternatives directly. That was
was can talk to Tracker (when they implement Xesam supprt), as well as
Beagle, Stringi and any others that exist.

Last time I looked at it, Xesam hadn't standardised some of the things
that we'd need to be able to use it as a database backend. In addition,
we'd probably want some changes to how Rhythmbox uses entries
(separating having a reference to an entry, and actually holding it in
memory) so that we don't have to pull everything across dbus on startup.

These aren't insurmountable (and would probably be good in general), but
would be a bit of work.

> So why reinvent the wheel all over the time, when we really just need
> Common Music DB and that's all?

>From the discussions I've had with developers of other music players,
the problem is that everyone has their own shaped wheel. What exactly
does into the database, and how it's used, varies between players. We
haven't even got a standard dbus interface for basic player control,
because different people want different things in it.

Cheers,

--
"Australian nachos?!?! Oh. My. Ghod."
"They're probably the most poisonous nachos in the world, and you'll die