Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox changes files to mp3 when transferring to a digital music player

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Jesse Avilés <jesseaviles gmail com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, it provided very helpful information.  I quoted
> your reply at the following Ubuntu forum thread:
>        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5773967
> I had already checked the FAQ and if it wasn't because you pointed out
> where to look, I wouldn't had know that the answer was that.
> Can the FAQ be updated to also include the question that I pose?

Just to be clear, although I do some programming, I'm not actually a
rhythmbox developer - I'm just another user.  I agree with you here -
the FAQ should include some more explicit information about
transcoding.

> Also, I don't know anything about HAL and what I found didn't make a lot
> of sense to me.

HAL stands for the hardware abstraction layer.  What Sven was talking
about is that ideally the Linux HAL should know about your "Sansa
Clip" player and what formats it supports.  When this information
isn't available, the .is_audio_player is a handy user editable
override supported by several Linux music players (not just
Rhythmbox).

Editing the .is_audio_player file is a short term solution - it will
be fine for you.  In the long term (to help other Sansa Clip owners)
the ideal solution is to get the HAL updated.  This was why Sven
suggested you file a bug with http://bugs.freedesktop.org/ (under the
product "hal", component "hal-info").

> Can you point me to information on which fields can be
> included in the .is_audio_player file?

I don't know personally - sorry.

Peter