Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] In the mood: predictive playback for Rhythmbox

Kevin Hunter ha scritto:
> At 6:36a -0400 on Fri, 01 Aug 2008, Tino Meinen wrote:
>>> if all of the song were analyzed, it could take days to complete
>>> the library.
>
> Hmm.  Just doing some quick back-of-the-envelope calculation with the
> previously mentioned 150GB:

That was my case :D

> (1 song / 4 min) * (1 min / MB) * (1,024MB / GB) * 150GB = 38,400
>
> So, at an average length of 4 minute audio files and roughly 1 MB per
> minute, the above library had roughly 38,400 songs.

150.04Gb in my case are 32567 songs for a total lenghtime of 95 days, 17
 hours and 13 minutes

> My first thought is that there is *no way* someone will be able to
> listen to all those songs in a reasonable amount of time.

That's not a matter of listen all of that music, it's a matter of choose
what kind of music to listen.

That's because plugin like last.fm or in the mood are so usefull: to
help you listen the right music of YOUR library in the RIGHT order.

> Starting with that thought, as long as your code works and can
> complete audio file analysis *faster* than the wall clock equivalent of
> listening, who cares?

That's for sure. In fact, with my AMD 2600Mhz notebook O_O I've spent
something like 12-14 hours to create in the mood db (for 150Gb).
Honestly, that's not bad at all!

> I'm also curious what the hold up is from 2,500 to 38,500 songs.  If
> 2,500 is barely measurable, 38,500 should not take that much longer, eh?
>  Does analyzing a song depend on other songs?  Maybe the slowdown isn't
> your analysis routines but your lookup process?

That's it: during my (quick) tests I found that the problem seemed to be
on routine analysis, because of calculations to be performed
after/during each song. Just consider that inthemood file's total size
is Mb!

>> If a song could be analysed while you listen to it, then the
>> database could be improved gradually as you go through your
>> collection.

I don't think it is useful for two reasons:

1. because the aim of this plugin is to enqueue the "closest" available
song of the library, and if you add a lot of music at the time (i.e. a
discography) it's difficult that you will play all songs (for this
reason I always use shuffle playing mode) :D

> Hope my 2 cent musings are helpful.
>
> Kevin

my 2€ cents.

enjoy, ;)
giopas

- --
"The paradigm of competition is a race: by
rewarding the winner, we encourage everyone
to run faster. When capitalism really works
this way, it does a good job; but its defenders
are wrong in assuming it always works this way.
If the runners forget why the reward is offered
and become intent on winning, no matter how, they
may find other strategies--such as, attacking
other runners. If the runners get into a fist
fight, they will all finish late."
(GNU manifesto/R. Stallman)