Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] In the mood: predictive playback for Rhythmbox

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Kevin Hunter <hunteke earlham edu> wrote:

> At 8:23p -0400 on Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Charlotte Curtis wrote:
> > Another thing I should mention is that it only analyzes the middle 30
> > seconds of the song.  This was done to reduce the amount of time
> > required for analysis, but it is possible that it could pick up on a
> > segment that is actually quite distinct from the rest of the song.
> > I'm not sure how this could be improved while maintaining a tolerable
> > analysis time.
>
> Is analysis something that you could put in a thread?  Then you could
> make it low-priority, do it in chunks (so you could start again if it
> was stopped), put it in the background, analyze the whole song, and
> generally have it be something that didn't freeze the UI while allowing
> the user do other things while computation is ongoing.
Analysis does actually take place in a thread, so it doesn't (or at
least, hopefully shouldn't) block the UI or any other tasks, but the
actual time required to complete analysis is pretty significant - if
all of the song were analyzed, it could take days to complete the
library.  I'm not sure that I (or anyone else just testing) would be
willing to wait for that, but it wouldn't be too difficult to set it
as a user preference, if it turns out to make a significant difference
in result quality.  Something to think about, anyway...

Charlotte