[Rhythmbox-devel] Please don't use EasyTAG (was Re: Japanese support - solution)

>> All,
>>
>> I came across a nice tag editor, EasyTAG
>> http://easytag.sourceforge.net/ that does bulk re-encoding of the
>> tags. It worked on almost all my files. If I removed the id3v1 tags
>> from the file, EasyTAG was works on everything.

P> Last time I checked, EasyTAG only supported ID3v1.1 and ID3v2.3
P> tag, but not the newer ID3 v2.4 used in gstreamer and rhythmbox.  I
P> think this make have implications for international languages like
P> Japanese, because v2.4 allows textual data to be encoded in UTF-8,
P> while strictly speaking v2.3 doesn't but some editors did it
P> anyway.

Yes, indeed.  I wish people wouldn't recommend using EasyTAG because
it can't handle ID3 v2.4 (mainly because it still depends on the
obsolete and no longer updated id3lib library).  Once you edit your
tags in rhythmbox you will no longer be able to edit them in EasyTAG.

For standalone mass retagging I recommend using the exfalso tag editor
which is part of quodlibet and handles ID3 v2.4 read/write and
recommend *not* using EasyTAG until such time as it upgrades to a
better tag rewriting library.

Alex