Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Japanese support - solution

Jonathan Matthew wrote:
On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 03:46:17PM -0500, Andy Howell wrote:
Mika Wahlroos wrote:

Are the tags correct and is their character encoding specified correctly?
Mika,

You were right about the character encoding. Its Shift JIS. Thats what causing me problems. Thanks.

You may be able to work around this by setting the
GST_ID3_TAG_ENCODING environment variable to match the encoding in the
files.

All,

I came across a nice tag editor, EasyTAG http://easytag.sourceforge.net/
that does bulk re-encoding of the tags. It worked on almost all my
files. If I removed the id3v1 tags from the file, EasyTAG was works on
everything.

Azat on the EasyTAG list pointed me to another package to do everything:

find -iname '*.mp3' -print0 | xargs -0 `which mid3iconv` -eShift_JIS
--remove-v1

On Fedora, the mid3iconv is in the RPM python-mutagen-1.12-1.fc7

I just used it to remove the id3v1 tags and EasyTAG did the re-encoding.
I haven't tried the encoding change implied by the -eShift_JIS option on
the command line above.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Andy