Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] on notification area on close !

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 08:50 +1000, James "Doc" Livingston wrote:

> Pretty much everyone agrees that there should be a guideline, and that
> all apps should follow it. Unfortunately there is absolutely no
> agreement on whether the guideline should say "apps should minimise to a
> tray icon" or "apps should always quit". From memory, it's somewhere
> around a 50/50 split of both users and developers.
>
> Apps that quit have bugs filed against them saying "please minimise to
> the notification area when closed", and apps that minimise have bugs
> filed against them saying "please quit when closed" (I personally fall
> into the quit-when-closed camp, and have a few bugs filed). I don't know
> how likely it is that there will be a standard, since no-one can agree.

Unfortunately the inconsistency is worse (IMHO) than "somebody" (i.e. in
charge) just decreeing that "this is how it will be" and pissing of 50%
of the people for a while.  Yes, wome people will whine for a while (50%
as the numbers seem to reveal).  But the status quo is worse in that
100% of the people are whining that it's not consistent.

I know, I know.  /me preacher.  /you choir.

b.

Brian J. Murrell