Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] on notification area on close !

On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 19:19 +0200, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 10:22:08AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > I don't know if this detail is in the HIG or not, but IMHO it should be.
>
> There are also quite some apps that quit when you press the "X".
> IMHO there should be a guideline and then all apps should be fixed
> accordingly.

Pretty much everyone agrees that there should be a guideline, and that
all apps should follow it. Unfortunately there is absolutely no
agreement on whether the guideline should say "apps should minimise to a
tray icon" or "apps should always quit". From memory, it's somewhere
around a 50/50 split of both users and developers.

Apps that quit have bugs filed against them saying "please minimise to
the notification area when closed", and apps that minimise have bugs
filed against them saying "please quit when closed" (I personally fall
into the quit-when-closed camp, and have a few bugs filed). I don't know
how likely it is that there will be a standard, since no-one can agree.

Cheers

--
"We are a dumbassocracy. Anyone dumb enough to get off of their ass and
volunteer/do something is welcome to do so." -- Matthew Rice