Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] iTunes music store DRM-free music in RB?

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 08:09 -0700, Adam Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-06 at 09:32 +0200, Ernst Persson wrote:
> > it feels like there's a good reason and probably no legal (etc..)
> > barriers now for adding iTunes music store DRM-free music to
> > Rhythmbox!
>
> I think it's against the iTMS terms of service to use any client other
> than iTunes. As I recall, that was the main issue facing the
> SharpMusique client.

As with any music store (or site for free music), I'm more than happy to
give help and advice to anyone who wants to implement support in
Rhythmbox, and unlikely to implement it myself.

Given the history with people trying to implement third-party clients to
the iTMS, I'd say that we wouldn't ship such a plugin with Rhythmbox as
an "official" plugin unless we had actual permission from Apple.

That said, someone could distribute such a plugin themselves, which
would involve wearing the risk of Apple taking issue with it.

I don't know whether using you iTMS account with a third-party client,
or using your iTMS account to gather the information necessary to create
one, would be against the Terms of Service (as I don't use it). While
there is one less argument they could use (avoiding the DRM), any
company that size could harass you for a while if they chose to do so,
regardless of whether their argument is valid or not.

Cheers,

--
The human genome is about 3 gigabases long, which boils down to 750
megabytes. Depressingly enough, this is only 2.8 Mozilla browsers."