Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Suggestions

On 9/4/06, Christophe Dehais <christophe dehais gmail com> wrote:
Is this boiling down to: new widget for Rhythmbox should be in a way
acceptable for the Gtk core, as far as UI design is concerned ?
(obviously they would probably fall in a "too specialized" category in
the first place)

I'm no RB dev, but AFAIK, you can create any widgets you like (e.g.
subclassing an hscale, like you mentioned) as long as they end up
fitting the theme.  Take the search box, for example: libsexy does
some "extra" things with a TextEntry, but it still fits right in.

Also, for a non-RB example, take F-Spot's custom widgets, e.g.
http://johnleach.co.uk/photography/random/screenshots/fspot-ss00.jpg.

Devs, correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Cheers,
Andrew

I'm asking this because I did some experiments regarding an enhanced
hscale for the playing position, and when doing such a widget, you
often start doing all the graphics yourself without thinking about
theming (that is to say not using the virtual functions defined in a
GtkStyle). Even more when you're trying to mimick an Inkscape mockup,
which I do.
The risk of this approach is that the design can become driven by the
eye-candyness, which is surely not a very good idea, but for me it's
more like "thinking graphically".

Christophe