Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Source list layout

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 18:59 +0200, Tom Parker wrote:
> Eeew.. If anyone does ever consider putting the second one in, I'd like
> an option to switch the gradient stuff *off*. I like the reformed
> sources list, and much prefer the first screenshot kris posted. We don't
> want to force the ugly (IMHO) brushed-metal look on all of rhythmbox's
> users. Allow it to be done via GTK themes, but otherwise it's probably a
> lot better to stick with reasonably standard widget designs. I know I
> chose my current themes for a reason, and I've never liked application
> designers overriding those choices.
>
> Tom Parker

Hi,

you are right, that's why i did two different mockup, i wasn't really
sure about the gradiend thing too, in fact i like more the second source
list (where the gradient looks fine and not intrusive) with the first
mockup.
I think that there should be a standard gtk widget for this kind of
thing that you can use in all your gnome media applications (rhythmbox,
totem, pitivi, etc), the gnome hig doesn't say so much about that, so
now every applications use its own interface.
Well... i'm not a developer so i'm not sure how trivial or not is to
implement this in gtk

A thing that i like is the centered position of the slider/song_title so
you can free more vertical space for the source list and is much more
visible than the left alignment, for the search bar i don't know if is
against HIG, but if not we can free vertical space again.

Cheers,

kris