Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Source list layout

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 21:32 +0200, Christophe Dehais wrote:
> Viewing those 2 mockups makes me think that, as there are more and
> more sources (stores, devices, shares, ...), it could be beneficial to
> allocate more space to the source list, granting it the whole left
> side of the application and putting the toolbar and position slider on
> top of the browser view.

Space in the sidebar is fairly limited, particularly with album-art or
the queue there, so this might be a good way to relieve from of the
space-pressure. All we lose is a bit of length of the information
header, but I think for most people that would be a problem.

> Well, of course the toolbar must stand below the application menu and
> that can't really be changed... So, time for implementing a more
> complex widget ? Some time ago, I was thinking about foldable panels.
> It's out of topic, but here is the mockup I did then (I also have a
> working widget, but I did it to learn Gtk custom widget creation, so
> it's barely a proof of concept ...)
>
> http://coloc.dnsdojo.org/~tof/pub/rb-mockup.png

I'd though about something similar a month or two ago, using a similar
concept to Struts Tiles (which are for web apps). My idea was mainly to
let you move things like album art around, putting a second sidebar on
the right for the queue or something.

A more extreme version of that, where you can move everything around,
might work - but we'd have to be careful not to make it too confusing.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
> Thus again, we have successfully proven that I cannot read minds.
It doesn't help. Almost all you ever get is "This mind intentionally
left blank."
    -- AJS and Steve VanDevender in a.s.r