Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Can rb copy OGG files onto ipods and mp3 players?

*narv - i need to remember to answer to the list, not singular persons...
here goes an e-mail i typed up last night:

Hm. This sounds like a good opportunity for me to share what I do in
terms of recoding. I have a 256MB mp3-player and a lot of music in OGG
and FLAC (great formats, btw). So here I go wanting to take my music on
the road with me - and more than just one album.

I have figured that 96kbps seems to be sufficient for listening with
earphones on the bus/underground/train/etc. So I wrote a bash script
that has evolved into deciding the current format, recoding - and even
setting an ID3 Tag! It has defined input and output directories and
expects folders (I usually put whole albums on my player) which I just
symlink from my music library.

I've attached the script for anyone's use or inspiration (GPL-
licensed). If I knew python, I could imagine fixing it up as a python RB
plugin, but I don't have the time for that right now.

-karsten

--
Using Linux is a choice and some people don't do well when faced with
choices as expansive as the opportunities with Linux.