Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Suggestions

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 23:48 +0200, Christophe Dehais wrote:
> Is this boiling down to: new widget for Rhythmbox should be in a way
> acceptable for the Gtk core, as far as UI design is concerned ?
> (obviously they would probably fall in a "too specialized" category in
> the first place)

If the widgets are replacing our use of an existing GTK widget there
would obviously need to be some notable benefit. But if the widget is
doing something there isn't a standard widget for, it's fine to use
them.

There is no reason RB can't have better looking widgets and shiny
things, as long as having them doesn't make it less useful to people or
harder to use.

> I'm asking this because I did some experiments regarding an enhanced
> hscale for the playing position, and when doing such a widget, you
> often start doing all the graphics yourself without thinking about
> theming (that is to say not using the virtual functions defined in a
> GtkStyle). Even more when you're trying to mimick an Inkscape mockup,
> which I do.

I don't really know a whole heap about it, but I would imagine theming
is mostly taken care of by using existing widgets where appropriate
(e.g. GtkLabels for text), and grabbing the colours from the style.
Doing those should make it fit in reasonably with the user's theme.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"25 grams of wafers and 20 ml of wine undergo transubstantiation and
become the flesh and blood of our Lord. How many Joules of heat are